In simple terms and based on how Britannica simply defines metabolism, it is the sum of all the chemical reactions that take place within each cell of every living organism such as ourselves. It provides energy for vital processes to take place and for synthesizing new organic material. But as we understand the definition of metabolism, we are faced with another question as to how we can lose weight with the aid of metabolism.
With the type of lifestyle that we have at present, we need to know the different foods for fast metabolism. Since metabolism is the process in which our body converts what we eat or drink into energy, we need to fill our bodies with good food that enables us to lose weight.
Within this complex process of metabolism, the calories in food and drinks are combined with oxygen to release the energy that our body needs in order to function properly.
So here are 5 realities that we must know about metabolism and the foods that are essential in promoting fast metabolism:
- Contrary to popular belief, metabolism is not just a single process. Unlike in the past that we thought metabolism is a simple process, the reality is that it is a collection of all the metabolic processes in our bodies. To understand metabolism better, we need to know the sum of all the energy that our body expends to function. This is then known as the total daily energy expenditure.
- Another surprising fact about metabolism is that it is dynamic. Our metabolism is far from being static as we actually have some control over some parts of it. Your metabolism can adapt according to the activities that you do regularly. A good example of this is when you decide to go on a diet and suddenly decrease your intake, your physical activity will also decrease. In this way, your metabolism adapts to the scenario that you exposed your body to.
- If you haven’t known it yet, your NEAT is a vital factor. Contrary to its name, NEAT or non-exercise activity thermogenesis is the most important part of your metabolism because it is the one that is most controllable. It is the one factor that was seen in a study to cause people to overeat and gain a lot of weight. The physical activity of people as well as the NEAT is also a good predictor or determinant as to those who would most likely gain their weight back after losing it.
- You can never “break” your metabolism. There is not any evidence that suggests that metabolisms can be broken. Your metabolism decreases when you lose weight and if you have significant hormonal issues such as hypothyroidism. Metabolism does not break because it simply reacts to the stimuli that you exposed it to.
- There is no significant importance for your resting metabolic rate in weight loss. We cannot control the resting metabolic rate to a significant number even with a lot of diet and exercise. In certain studies, resting metabolism is found to have no significant effect on weight loss. Your food intake and NEAT are much more vital for weight loss efforts than the metabolic rate.
And now that we understand the different factors and realities about metabolism, let us tackle the various ways and foods that promote fast metabolism. Since weight loss is an integral part of staying fit and keeping a healthy lifestyle, we need to explore ways in boosting our metabolism.
Below are six ways to promote better metabolism:
Eat more often – When you snack smart and eat more foods for a fast metabolism, you lose weight. Eating large meals with longer intervals tend to slow down your metabolism. Having a small snack every 3 to 4 hours will keep your metabolism active, therefore allowing you to burn more calories for the entire day. Snacking regularly will make you eat less during mealtime.
Add spice to your meals – When you eat spicy foods, your metabolism will shift into a higher gear. At least a tablespoon of chopped red or green chili pepper can help enhance your metabolic rate. Even if you think that the effect lasts only for a short time, but when you regularly spice up your meals, you may find better results as the positive effects build up. In order to gain that rapid metabolic rate, spice up pasta dishes or add chilies in stews with red pepper flakes.
Don’t be afraid of protein – Digesting proteins in your body make you burn more calories than eating fats or carbohydrates. For a balanced diet, you may want to replace some carbs with lean and protein-rich foods. The best sources of protein are as follows: lean beef, turkey, fish, white meat chicken, tofu, eggs, beans, nuts, and low-fat dairy products.
Black coffee is good – If you are used to drinking coffee, then this move will not be that difficult for you to fulfill. When you take it in moderation, you can very well enjoy the boost in energy and concentration it offers. While you experience a short-term rise in your metabolic rate, caffeine also helps you feel less tired and increase your endurance while exercising.
Green tea helps you recharge – Get the combined benefits of caffeine and catechins in order to boost your metabolism that lasts for a couple of hours. According to researchers, drinking 2 to 4 cups of green tea or oolong tea will help your body burn 17% more calories during a moderately intense exercise for a short time.
Do not attempt to do a crash diet – If you’re thinking about hastening your metabolism, don’t go eating a diet with lesser than 1200(for women) or 1800(for men) calories per day. Even if you drop several pounds, you will get it at the expense of good nutrition. While you are losing muscle, your metabolism slows down. The end result is that your body burns fewer calories and gains weight faster. You are getting the total opposite of what you expected.
As we understand the role of metabolism for us to lose weight, we also need to know the proper foods for fast metabolism. These two topics are essential in truly reaching our goals for a fit and healthy body. Weight loss is not a luxury but a necessity especially because in the present times, people do not pay attention anymore to their diets and the nutrition they get.